Learning + Showcase House [Building Science + Luxury Design]
Check out Phase 1 below!
Phase 2 will begin in Winter 2022.
Phase 3 will begin in Spring 2023.
Sign up to receive updates on this project
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates about our energy efficient showcase house.
You have successfully subscribed to our Showcase Project mailing list!
Interact with our Tour below
Walk through the property, watch related videos, look at the floor plan, see our project team, and more!
About This Showcase House
For over 40 years, SawHorse has been known as “The Sign of Renovation in Your Neighborhood.” We introduced game-changing concepts in Atlanta, such as “Design + Build” and “Earthcraft House Renovation.” Now we demonstrate how ALL-Electric homes can be better for indoor air quality, human comfort and health, and low energy costs.
We collaborated with our strategic design partners, LG Squared, known for “high performance” home designs. We invited our top manufacturing partners and local certifiers to create this showcase house with the hashtag #1920sMakeverATL. Rate It Green, the top green building rating directory, hosts the virtual tour, creates content for its members, and promotes our scheduled events. We will build this house to Earthcraft House and Passive House standards. Our partners will work with us to demonstrate how to make this home more energy-efficient, have clean indoor air, and go all-electric, making this house solar-ready.
This house will have more insulation than any other house in the zip code. This will ensure minimal loss since the whole house will be wrapped on all sides with ROCKWOOL insulation.
High-Performance construction pairs well with luxury design. We are partnering with the top brands such as Cosentino, Helvex, Georgia Blinds, and Interiors,
Energy efficiency does not mean comfort is compromised. This house will have controls that maintain proper temperature and humidity for maximum comfort year-round. Ductless mini-splits by Mitsubishi plus whole-house dehumidifiers by Aprilaire will keep the latent and sensible loads at their designed set points.
Indoor Air Quality
Recent world events have brought terms like “filtration” and “ventilation” to our vocabulary. We will make sure the air in the house is properly filtered with Aprilaire filters as it circulates through the house and as it enters our “fresh air” intake. Energy recovery ventilation by Panasonic will remove the bad air while bringing in fresh air so the new owners can breathe easily year-round.
Durable Design and Construction
This house was originally built 100 years ago and is in disrepair. The materials and techniques that we are using will allow this house to last 200+ years. The key is moisture management around the foundation, in the walls, and on the roof. Moisture destroys buildings, and a well-designed system will allow a wood structure to last centuries.
Showcase House as an Evergreen Learning House
To show how this house works, we partnered with Mythos Media to create a 360-degree self-guided virtual tour of the house. This means that you can follow along step by step with us through 3 major phases of construction.
The current tour shows what the existing house looks like. We have created lots of content regarding what we have found behind the walls and some of the design solutions we have to fix the current problems in the house. As we progress with construction, we will create 2 more phases for the tour, including pre-drywall and the final reveal. You will be able to click on a button to phase through time to see how we fixed the existing issues on the house to ultimately create a high-performance masterpiece.
Most of the materials and designs are cutting edge, so that this tour will be live for 10+ years. We will embed new content and updates once we get more feedback from the owners as they live in and enjoy the house.
Scroll to the bottom of this page to see all of the content already created for this house to teach others about resilient design and construction.
Check Out the Progress of the House
#1920sMakeoverATL Project Partners
Thanks to the following project partners for helping us create this high-performance house to both Passive House and EarthCraft House standards.
We want to thank all of the media partners for helping create and promote the #1920sMakeoverATL
There is still room to join the team!
- Hardwood Flooring
- Interior and Exterior Paint
- Door Hardware
- Cabinet Hardware
- Water distribution
- Recessed Lighting
- Decorative Lighting
- Kitchen Appliances
- Stone Masonry
- Brick Masonry
In the PRESS
As the first Passive House renovation in Georgia, this house is already getting a ton of buzz!
1920’s House Promotes Green Building
- Buildertrend Podcast: The Building Code: Building the green way- How to make jobs more sustainable with Matt Hoots
- PHIUS Article: The First PHIUS Retrofit in Georgia – April 2023
- Rate It Green Article: “Gas vs Electricity” Misperceptions Still Tipping the Scales?
- Rate It Green Article: The Pre-Construction #1920sMakeoverATL Virtual Reality Green Building Tour is Live!
- Rate It Green Article: Visit the #1920sMakeoverATL Showhouse with Chris Laumer-Giddens of LG Squared
- Rate It Green Article:Showcase Opportunity – Join Matt Hoots on an Exciting 1920s Deep Energy Retrofit! Follow along with the #1920sMakeoverATL Project!
- Rate It Green (newsletter): Important Conversations about Electrification – June 2021
- Rate It Green (newsletter):The #1920sMakeoverATL Project – Now a Passive House!–May 2021
- SawHorse Video: Mythos Media creates self guided tour for Atlanta House
Rate It Green: Recent Newsletters
YouTube Playlist: #1920smakeoverATL videos from various creators
- SawHorse Article: SawHorse on track to retrofit first ever Passive House in Georgia
Design and Certifications
- Webinar: SawHorse, LG Squared, and ROCKWOOL- “ROCKWOOL “Behind the walls” #1920sMakeoverATL”
- Rate It Green Article: Our Path to Choosing Green Building Certifications: A Passive House and Earthcraft Home Renovation
- Rate It Green Newsletter: “Choosing Green Building Certifications: A Builder’s Perspective” – July 2021
- Rate It Green Video: Designing the Walls & Roof with Continuous Insulation – Passive House
- Home Performance Video: Advanced Blower Door Testing Tips for Historic Home Renovation
- Rate It Green Article: Discussing Air Tightness and Blower Door Testing with Corbett Lunsford, Matt Hoots, and Chris Laumer-Giddens (Video)
- Rate It Green Article: Asbestos Testing at the #1920sMakeoverATL Deep Energy Retrofit Project
- Rate It Green Article: Radon and Vapor Control Layers in the 1920sMakeoverATL Showhouse: Pre-Project Testing (Video)
- SawHorse Video: Professional Lead Testing for Your Home or Business
- SawHorse Video: Famous ATLANTAN lived in this house- and we ALMOST tore it down!!
- SawHorse Video: Construction Debris converted to Tax Write-offs in Atlanta?
- Rate It Green Newsletter: The Forgotten Side of Buildings
- Home Performance Video: Tearing a Historic Home Foundation Apart- Pouring a Passive House Concrete Slab and Shotcrete Wall
- SawHorse Video: Below Slab ROCKWOOL insulation
- SawHorse Video: The Forgotten Side of the Home || Passive House Slab Details
- Rate It Green (article): Radon Control starts with a good design
- Rate It Green (article): Common Framing Problems with Older Homes can Lead to High Energy Bills
- SawHorse Video: A comprehensive look at Huber Engineered Wood options for your home
- SawHorse Article: Green Building Protects You Against Rate Increases
- Atlanta Building News: Code, Best, Best, options for Ventilation
- Rate It Green (article): The Rheem ProTerra Hybrid Water Heat Pump – A Great Fit for the #1920sMakeoverATL Project (Video)
- Rate It Green (article): Air Filtration at the #1920sMakeoverATL Showhouse – It Can Only Get Better from Here (Video)
- Rate It Green (article): Going Electric for Heating and Cooling, and Water Heating, in a Residential Retrofit – #1920sMakeoverATL (Video)
- SawHorse Video: Finally! A better way to run HVAC ducts in residential construction
- SawHorse Video: Kitchen Ventilation That Adapts and Reacts To Your Needs | Broan-Nutone
Insulation and Air-Sealing:
- SawHorse Article: Don’t Overcomplicate Air Sealing – You Just need a Caulk Gun
- SawHorse Video: Below Slab ROCKWOOL insulation
- SawHose Video: The “Perfect Wall” with ROCKWOOL and Huber Zip System at IBS 2022
- Webinar: SawHorse, Aprilaire, and NWFA- “Humidity, Hardwoods, and Homes – The Building Science Approach to Protecting Your Investment”
- SawHorse Video: Scratch Resistant Sinks by Blanco
- SawHorse Video: Revolutionize Your Bathroom with Groutless Dekton Shower Panels
690 Miami Circle NE Suite 700, Atlanta, GA 30324